pspp-dev

Re: i18n

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: i18n
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 10:31:30 +0800

I'm looking at i18n again, particularly from the point of view of the
gui.  I think we sort of came to a concensus on the text below.
Perhaps we ought to copy it into a readme file somewhere.

I want to go ahead and implement SET LOCALE.  It seems that SPSS (for
Windoze) accepts as arguments to SET LOCALE only a few keywords.  Ie
SET LOCALE = {GERMAN, JAPANESE, ENGLISH} which is crazy in IMHO.  I
propose that we implement it such that it takes a string.  Eg:

SET LOCALE = 'de_DE'. or
SET LOCALE = 'jp'.

and also allow GERMAN, JAPANESE and ENGLISH as synonyms for "de", "jp"
and "en" respectively.

There are some other issues which have become apparent, in some
experiments I've been doing recently.  In particular, I'm in two minds
whether PSPP should take any notice of any aspect of the given locale
other than its character encoding.  But that's probably a topic that
should be discussed seperately.

J'