pspp-dev

Re: [patch #5498] Add integer, floating point, and character recoding ro

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: [patch #5498] Add integer, floating point, and character recoding routines
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 22:53:47 -0700

> 1. There are some  string g literals which need to be placed withing
> _(...) for the  benefit of gettext.

Is debug testing code worth internationalizing?  My thought in
this file was no, because anyone debugging PSPP would have to
understand English to follow along with the source code.

I can add _() if you prefer.

> 2. I'm a bit concerned at  how usable this is :
>
> /* Renders SRC, which contains SIZE bytes of a floating-point
> +   number in the given FORMAT, as relatively human-readable
> +   null-terminated string in DST, which must be large enough to
> +   hold the output. */
> +static void
> +make_printable (enum float_format format, const void *src_,
> +                char *dst, size_t size)
>
> How am  I supposed to know how large DST should be, a priori? ? Does
> it have safe behaviour  if it's not large enough?   The function does
> not return an error code.

Well, I don't expect it to be used outside this test code, which
uses it correctly, but it is easy to fix, so I will take care of
it.
--
"doe not call up Any that you can not put downe."
--H. P. Lovecraft