pspp-dev

Re: Code Pages

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Code Pages
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 22:01:39 -0800

>    It seems that SPSS 15 is now indicating the "code page" of the
>    system file in a slot where it previously just had essentially a
>    constant value.
>
> This could go some way to solving some of the internationalisation
> issues.   However, I've been trying to find some way of converting
> between "code page" numbers and character set names as understood by
> iconv.   I've found a few web sites which suggest such mappings, but
> non of them seem to be complete or authoritative.

Microsoft has presumably authoritative code page listings at:
        http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/WinCP.mspx
Each of these listings gives the Unicode code points that
correspond to each character value.  So, if you want to figure
out the correspondence badly enough, you could extract the info
provided by those pages and see whether any of the iconv names
convert to the same Unicode code points.  I did something like
this to find out whether the SPSS EBCDIC encoding was the same as
any iconv character set (it wasn't).
--
Ben Pfaff
email: address@hidden