Re: Datasheet internals

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Datasheet internals
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:59:14 -0700

> Anyway, see if you can improve on this patch.  I've noticed that FILE
> NEW causes problems, and there may be a few other glitches too.  I
> haven't yet fully satisfied myself that all the datasheets and
> casereaders are being destroyed either.

It's been a long time since I've tried out the GUI.  I have to
say, I'm impressed.  My first surprise was the splash image that
appeared when I started it up--you (or Patrick Brunier or Dondi
Bogusky?) must have an artistic streak in you, it's lovely.

A few comments:

    It would be nice if the file open dialog boxes kept track of
    the last directory they were in; I often have a directory
    full of system files that I want to open one by one.

    Only one of View|Data or View|Variables appears on the View
    menu at any given time.  I think putting both on the menu
    with a check mark by the one currently selected would be
    easier to understand.

    The Type & Label button in the Compute dialog box becomes
    active when I type the name of a variable that doesn't yet
    exist, but it doesn't do anything when I click on it (perhaps
    it's just not implemented yet).

    There are some funny buttons to the right of the "weight"
    button on the toolbar.  One is a grayed-out grid symbol,
    another is a check mark, and the third is just blank.  I'm
    not sure what's going on.

    I think that the GUI should accept file names on the command
    line, at least the name of a portable or system file to load
    and maybe the names of syntax files to bring into windows

    I'm willing to file wishlist bugs on any of these if you

I realize that this isn't the question you were asking; I got
sidetracked.  I'll get back to the issue at hand tomorrow.  Time
to sleep now, I've had too many late nights lately.
Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)
        -- Linus Torvalds