pspp-dev

Re: Datasheet internals

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Datasheet internals
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:59:14 -0700

> Anyway, see if you can improve on this patch.  I've noticed that FILE
> NEW causes problems, and there may be a few other glitches too.  I
> haven't yet fully satisfied myself that all the datasheets and
> casereaders are being destroyed either.

It's been a long time since I've tried out the GUI.  I have to
say, I'm impressed.  My first surprise was the splash image that
appeared when I started it up--you (or Patrick Brunier or Dondi
Bogusky?) must have an artistic streak in you, it's lovely.

A few comments:

    It would be nice if the file open dialog boxes kept track of
    the last directory they were in; I often have a directory
    full of system files that I want to open one by one.

    Only one of View|Data or View|Variables appears on the View
    menu at any given time.  I think putting both on the menu
    with a check mark by the one currently selected would be
    easier to understand.

    The Type & Label button in the Compute dialog box becomes
    active when I type the name of a variable that doesn't yet
    exist, but it doesn't do anything when I click on it (perhaps
    it's just not implemented yet).

    There are some funny buttons to the right of the "weight"
    button on the toolbar.  One is a grayed-out grid symbol,
    another is a check mark, and the third is just blank.  I'm
    not sure what's going on.

    I think that the GUI should accept file names on the command
    line, at least the name of a portable or system file to load
    and maybe the names of syntax files to bring into windows
    also.

    I'm willing to file wishlist bugs on any of these if you
    like.

I realize that this isn't the question you were asking; I got
sidetracked.  I'll get back to the issue at hand tomorrow.  Time
to sleep now, I've had too many late nights lately.
--
Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)