pspp-dev

Re: assertion on Ctrl-C

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: assertion on Ctrl-C
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:33:55 -0700

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 08:38:14PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>      I suspect it's better to not clean up so much on Ctrl+C.  Just
>      delete temporary files (if necessary) and exit.  Doing as little
>      as possible in a signal handler is Good.
>
> This is probably the best  option for now. But it might prove
> inadequate in the future (for example if we have multiple threads and
> multiple datasets).

Agreed.

> I suppose that the ideal solution would be to have a signal handler
> which flags a semaphore to indicate that the code should not accept
> more input, stop what it's doing and terminate.  But it's probably an
> overkill ...

For now maybe.  But in the long run that's something we want to
do anyway.  I generally consider it "friendly" for a user
interface to stop whatever it's doing and give me a new command
prompt if I type Ctrl+C or do the GUI equivalent (e.g. click a
"stop" button).

I think that this might be cleanly implementable through an
extension to the taint interface.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org