pspp-dev

Re: Pre release for the cygwin/windows setup. Tests needed.

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Pre release for the cygwin/windows setup. Tests needed.
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 16:33:41 +0800

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 09:38:45AM +0200, unknown-1 wrote:

       You need to be aware of some issues regarding licensing:

     I am new to this. Please advice me. What is the easiest/best way
     to do this?

Well so far as including the text of the licences is concerned, that's
simple.  Download them from http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt
and http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.txt and put them into the ZIP
file.

Then you need to decide, which option of
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html#section6 is easiest for you,
and implement it accordingly.

     What I intended with my licence text is that everybody can use it and
     everybody can change what I made as long as (s)he donates the result to the
     community again.

Why did you opt to use the AGPL, when pspp doesn't have any networking function?

      The only "source"  code is the 2 *.bat files. They are
     included so I guess that is ok?

That's OK.

       (The exe is generated with an opensource
     program from the psppire-start.bat. Actualy it is only a launcher with an
     icon to have a nice shortcut on the desktop)

You need to check the licence of that program to make sure you're in compliance.

Why don't you consider making a canonical Cygwin package per
http://cygwin.com/setup.html ?  This will make your work easier, and
the technicalities of complying with the licences are taken care of by
Cygwin (at least I hope they are).  It will also make your package
smaller, and (hopefully) easier to install.

I am not a lawyer.  This is not legal advice.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3