pspp-dev

Re: ADD FILES and UPDATE

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: ADD FILES and UPDATE
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 16:13:00 +0900

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 09:00:56PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     Here is my analysis of each use in the source tree:

             * src/language/stats/binomial.c (do_binomial): I think
               that this is a bug, since I don't see any guarantee
               that the width is short.

I agree.

             * src/language/stats/examine.q (show_summary): I'm not
               sure from a first look, but I'm inclined to say that
               this is a bug.  However, the SPSS documentation for
               EXAMINE says that only the short string part of long
               string variables is analyzed, and maybe we have that
               restriction too, though we do not document it.

I don't see any reason for such a restriction, so this is a bug.

             * src/language/stats/freq.c (compare_freq): The main user
               of this function is FREQUENCIES, and it intentionally
               only analyzes the short-string part of long string
               variables.  chisquare.c also uses it, and I don't know
               whether it has the same intention.

Is there any reason (other than spss emulation) to analyse only the
the shortened part?

             * src/language/stats/oneway.q (run_oneway): ONEWAY only
               supports numeric variables, so this could actually use
               a different comparison function that only compared
               doubles.  At any rate I don't think it is buggy.

             * src/language/stats/t-test.q (which_group): T-TEST only
               analyzes the short-string part of long string
               variables, so this should be correct.

Fundamentally, there's no reason why T-TEST and ONEWAY couldn't both
use long strings. So the long versions wouldn't hurt.

             * src/math/coefficient.c (pspp_coeff_var_to_coeff): I
               don't know.  Further investigation required.

             * src/math/covariance-matrix.c (various functions):
               Ditto.

             * src/math/group.c (compare_group): Ditto.

This is used only by oneway (hopefully one day this file will go
away).

             * src/ui/gui/find-dialog.c (value_compare): Seems likely
               to be wrong.

It's wrong.

     Have you had a chance to look at any of the other commits yet?

All the others look fine to me.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3