pspp-dev

Re: a better way to represent values

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: a better way to represent values
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 13:00:39 -0800

> One of the "related assumptions" which has concerned
> me, is that of character encoding.  I'm aware that there are (or at
> least there were) several places where string data is copied in/out
> without proper character set conversion.  Some time ago I proposed
> changing short_string to an unsigned char which would help catch these
> instances.  We never got around to doing it, because the change would
> have been so pervasive, but if we're going to change union value now
> anyway, this would be a good opportunity to do that at the same time.

I am still a little confused about what encoding the string data
internal to PSPP is supposed to be in.  Is it supposed to be in
the default encoding for the locale that the user selected when
he/she started PSPP?  Could you give an example of the "proper"
way to translate string data into that encoding?
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org