pspp-dev

Re: Inserting data without a variable set

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Inserting data without a variable set
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 07:11:51 +0800

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 08:02:49PM -0300, Michel Boaventura wrote:
     Hello,

     Some SPSS users complain to me about psppire that on SPSS if you try
     to add data and don't have a variable defined, it creates
     one with a default name and type. On PSPP you can't add data without
     set a variable before.

     Do you think that it could be change or will not be very useful to the
users?

Personally I don't like that way of doing things.  But I guess I'm
looking from a programmer's point of view; if I write x = 3; before
I've defined x, then I like to see an error.  I don't want it to
automatically declare a variable x for me.

However, if users want that, then I suppose we can do it.  Can you
submit a wishlist bug about it.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3