pspp-dev

Re: font sizes

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: font sizes
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:48:24 +0000

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 08:02:47AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     > The documentation for pango_cairo_font_map_set_resolution says:
     >
     >  This is a scale factor between points specified in a
PangoFontDescription and
     >  Cairo units. The default value is 96, meaning that a 10 point font will
be
     >  13 units high. (10 * 96. / 72. = 13.3).
     >
     > I agree that the docs are not terribly helpful.

     I knew about that, but I always assumed that it only applied to
     devices that don't have a native dpi, such as pixmaps and
     screens.  It seems awfully stupid to apply an arbitrary "dpi"
     scale factor to devices that have a real native dpi, such as PDF
     and PostScript devices.

     I guess we need to do different things based on what kind of
     device we've got?

I agree that would be a strange state of affairs, and I find it hard to believe
that
pango/cairo works like that.  Unfortunately I don't have enough experience to
make
an intelligent assesment of the situation.

If you would like me to I could try to look into it a bit deeper to see if we
can't
come up with a more elegent solution.   Although I'm not sure when I'd be able
to do that.
Whilst I'm not particularly short of time at the moment, that kind of thing
needs quite a
few consecutive hours without interruption (well that's what I generally need,
anyway).

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3