pspp-dev

Fwd: Re: Testing

From: Harry Thijssen
Subject: Fwd: Re: Testing
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 14:40:41 +0200

A bit political but I couldn't hold me back :-)

>I think their real issue with legality stems from many of the professors not
>being familiar with free open source software. Many of them still use Windows
>and SPSS simply because it is all they have ever known.

This sounds a bit like a FUD strategy. (Fear Uncertainty Doubt) A well
known strategy of some companies to avoid their customers to switch to
a better product.  Especially used to combat Free Software.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

>I have been working to
>change this, by introducing programs like open office and GIMP.

Good!
Well especially the latest developments with Openoffice.org (as is the
real name of openoffice) shows the power of the free software and the
gpl licence. OpenOffice.org was forked to LibreOffice and last weekend
Oracle capitulated. It stops developing Openoffice and gives the
package back to the community. What you see on this example is that
the Free Software can't be taken hostage by a company. The
community/end-user can always continue to use a product derived from
the latest code.
http://www.daughtrymaniafansite.co.cc/oracle-stops-selling-open-office
This kind of Freedom is a big pro for Free Software.

BTW the latest MSWindows build off PSPP is off 2011-04-17 so your
professors can see the latest developments.

Have fun