pspp-users

PSPP GUI - I guess I'm just stupid, but...

From: Paul and/or Minna Brown
Subject: PSPP GUI - I guess I'm just stupid, but...
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 05:46:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hello!

PSPP newbie, trying (ultimately) to get an SPSS .sav
file to function as my data file in PSPP.  Would also
LIKE to see what the GUI looks like, and I *think*
I've done everything necessary to get it installed,
but as there are no instructions, I have absolutely NO
IDEA how to actually START the GUI.

I'm on an Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn) system, and I've got
the following packages installed:

gsl-bin: Version: 1.8-3build1
libgsl0-dev: Version: 1.8-3build1
perl: Version: 5.8.8-7build1
pkg-config: Version: 0.21-1build1
libncurses5-dev: Version: 5.5-5ubuntu2
readline-common: Version: 5.2-2ubuntu1
plotutils: Version: 2.4.1-15
libplot-dev: Version: 2.4.1-15
glade: Version: 2.12.1-6ubuntu2
libglade2-dev: Version: 1:2.6.0-3
libgtk2.0-dev Version: 2.10.11-0ubuntu3

As mentioned in a mail to the dev list, I don't know
if these are the packages I should have installed or
not, or if some are redundant, or what, but these, at
least, I have, and the "installation" process seems to
have gone just fine.

What I've done so far is start with the FAQ comments
on "How do I get started using PSPP?", then got my own
simple data file to work...

My .syn file looks like this at the beginning:

#########
DATA LIST LIST FILE='SPSSData' /age (f8) sex (a5)
test1 (f8) test2 (f8).
*BEGIN DATA.

*END DATA.
#########

so I'm getting the raw data from another file, but now
I'm stumped as to how to get the .sav file to work,
because it has all the variables already defined as
part of it, (and there are a LOT of them), so just
changing from my own "SPSSData" file to the .sav file
is not gonna work - or is it?

Anyway, there's no instructions for how to use a .sav
file, either, although I thought that was one of the
great things about PSPP -- the fact that it can read
SPSS files.  It's just that I'm a total newbie with
both of these, and not that accomplished w/Linux
either, so....

Thanks for bearing with me!

-paul

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the
tools to get online.