pspp-users

Re: copying variable values

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: copying variable values
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:59:52 +0800

[CCing to address@hidden

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:29:33AM +1000, Lisa McFayden wrote:
     thanks John
     I'm not yet up to entering data. I'm still setting up my variables. I'm
     new to PSPP and have only used SPSS once so I'm a rank beginner. I'm
     running it on Windows and am in the variables view.

Right.  Cut and Paste isn't supported in the variable view yet.

     I have a series of questions for which there are six possible responses
     (including missing data). I have numbered each possible reponse 0 to 5
     (0 = missing data) The same response options apply to several questions
     so rather that enter the values for each question I was hoping to type
     in the values for one variable and then copy to others. I hope this
     makes sense.

Perfect sense.  If there really are a  lot of variables, then I think
the easiest way to do this is  to run a short syntax like:

 value labels a,b,c  1 'very good'   2 'good'   3 'average'  4 'bad' 5 'very
bad'.
 missing values a,b,c (0).

where you replace "a,b,c" with a list of variables which you should
have already created.

Hope this helps.

J'

--