pspp-users

Re: Pspp-users Digest, Vol 27, Issue 9

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Pspp-users Digest, Vol 27, Issue 9
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 08:15:02 +0800

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm glad that you've got PSPP working.

The problem is that PSPP is a multi-platform application, intented to
work not only on GNU/Linux, but also on GNU/Hurd as well as BSD,
Solaris, Windows and others.  The convention of using a -dev suffix to
indicate "development" versions of libraries is a common to Debian
based systems, but is by no means universal.    The PSPP developers
cannot be expected to be experts on all the possible systems, so
trying to write a "universal install instruction" would probably be an
abject failure.   Having said that the autotools do a good job in most
situations.   It's unfortunate that the gnu89-inline issue reared its
ugly head so soon before the last release.

Anyway, that's the reason why we don't give specific instructions for
installing on Debian/Ubuntu/openSUSE/... but leave it up to the
experts on those platforms to deal with such issues.  Having said
that, people who have problems are more than welcome to ask here.

J'