pspp-users

Re: 0.6.0-10 PSPP windows - Queries (WinXP)

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: 0.6.0-10 PSPP windows - Queries (WinXP)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:52:30 -0700

"David Purdy" <address@hidden> writes:

> 1) Very long file save time ? - I'm using a large third party SPSS .sav file
> (417 fields x 510,121 records = 265 Mb), but am only interested in 7 fields.
> To ease the processing load, I deleted the unwanted fields in PSPP, but the
> resultant .sav file took over 90 minutes to save (9 Mb).   Are there any
> settings that could be adjusted to reduce the file save time ?

Wow!  That's a long time.  I don't know, off-hand, why it would
take that long.  Is the disk active during that time?  Is PSPP
using a lot of CPU time?  Is this in the GUI or the command-line
syntax version?

Increasing the workspace to a value larger than the size of your
file might help, e.g. SET WORKSPACE=300000.

> 2) Copy from Output1 Window ? - The select all/copy doesn't
> appear to paste into Windows notepad or Word 2003.  Is there
> another way of saving the output data ?

I vaguely remember another Windows user reporting the same
problem.  I think that this must be a Windows-specific bug that
we will have to have a Windows developers take a look at.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org