pspp-users

Re: not able to access psppire

From: Pete Khooshabeh
Subject: Re: not able to access psppire
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:42:01 -0700

thanks Andy. I'll wait for Intrepid. Will my Hardy Heron automatically upgrade to Intrepid?

Andy wrote:
Sorry for my slow reply.

Ben's email is spot-on. The version of PSPP in Hardy doesn't have the GUI. There are a couple of options.

1) SAFEST - Wait for Intrepid to come out. It has 0.6 in the repo. When you upgrade, your 0.4 version should get bumped up naturally. It should be out towards the end of next month.

2) LESS SAFE, BUT ANNOYING - I could send you a binary, but since it's not from the repos you will have to remove it and install PSPP again when you upgrade to Intrepid.

3) LEAST SAFE - Upgrade to Intrepid today! Unless you are comfortable fixing weird strange errors, this doesn't seem like a good idea. Intrepid is still in flux, and things are changing rapidly. Things may or may not work for you depending on what you want to use, and what kind of hardware you have.

Personally, I tend to upgrade my home machines at BETA 2. I upgrade my work laptop the day after the RC comes out. Before I install the RC in my work laptop, I check the forums to make sure I don't see lots of horror stories about any of the hardware on my system. Fortunately, it's all Intel, so things are usually pretty smooth for my work laptop. My home systems have ATI video cards, so things get a little weird from time to time (for example, a broken X-Server) during the BETA process.

Pete Khooshabeh wrote:
Hello,
I am not able to access PSPPIRE. I would appreciate any help. I am running Hardy Heron and I can load PSPP from the terminal, but when I type psppire there is not running. Here are a couple of traces

address@hidden:~$ psppire
bash: psppire: command not found

And from within pspp

address@hidden:~$ pspp
PSPP is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
under certain conditions; type "show copying." to see the conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY for PSPP; type "show warranty." for details.
GNU pspp 0.4.0 (Sun Mar  2 00:37:48 UTC 2008).
PSPP> psppire
error: Unknown command psppire.
warning: This command not executed.
warning: The rest of this command has been discarded.

I installed pspp from the package manager.

Many thanks,

pete

Insert something humorous here.  :-)