pspp-users

Is this a known defect?

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Is this a known defect?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:38:05 -0600

I thought PSPP was syntax compatible with SPSS, is that correct? I have some simple code that is not compatible:

compute z = sum( x1,
x2,
x3).
execute.

reports these syntax errors:

/home/amead/pspp.sps:28: syntax error: Syntax error in expression at end of command.
/home/amead/pspp.sps:28: syntax error: Unknown command X2.
/home/amead/pspp.sps:29: syntax error: Unknown command X3.

If I insert a space before the variables, then the errors disappear. The (unmodified) code works fine in SPSS 16. For me, this is a serious issue, because I have a lot of existing SPSS code that might be subject to this error (which is how I found the problem). I'm using the latest Fedora 9 rpm of PSPP (psppire reports version 0.6.0).

-Alan

--
Alan D. Mead, Ph.D. Assistant Professor, Institute of Psychology
Scientific Adviser, Center for Research and Service

Skype: alandmead
+312.567.5933 (Campus)
+815.588.3846 (Home Office)
+312.567.3493 (Fax)

http://www.iit.edu/~mead
http://www.center.iit.edu
http://www.alanmead.org

Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will
help create the fact.
-- Henry James