pspp-users

unicode

From: Matej Kovacic
Subject: unicode
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 07:27:28 +0100

Hi,

> My linux runs with UTF-8, and I'm also have the same problem. As we
> discovered because of the
> non-ascii chars on filename problem, windows never uses Unicode, so
> probably .sav files also don`t uses.
> So I think that any OS with UTF-8 will always have this problem.
>
> And because PSPP claims to be compatible with SPSS, we should use the
> same encoding as SPSS,
> who sadly uses the windows encoding.

Or - there should be an option when opening/importing file, to set which
encoding datafile is using.

BTW, I am also using LimeSurvey (http://www.limesurvey.org/), an
opensource software for web surveys, and LimeSurvey has an option to
export data directly into SPSS. You get data file and syntax file.
Syntax file is like this:

SET UNICODE=ON.
GET DATA
/TYPE=TXT
/FILE='survey_71999_SPSS_data_file.dat'
/DELCASE=LINE
/DELIMITERS=","
/QUALIFIER="'"
/ARRANGEMENT=DELIMITED
/FIRSTCASE=1
/IMPORTCASE=ALL
/VARIABLES=
 fname A40
 lname A40
 attr1 A100
 attr2 A100

I don't know which SPSS version of syntax is that, but PSPP is unable to
run this syntax. However, there is an interesting option SET UNICODE=ON
at the beginning...

bye, Matej