pspp-users

Re: PSPPire problems

From: Paulo Silveira
Subject: Re: PSPPire problems
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 06:14:51 -0300

Dear fellows,

Sincerely, I am a bit disappointed with PSPP. After some struggle, I
finally succeeded to make it install and work. Its features, however,
are miles of distance of the inspirational SPSS. Although PSPP has a
similar interface and a similar way to select variables, only the most
basic statistics is already implemented, like ANOVA and t test. It not
only lacks more difficult implementations such as the nice discriminant
analysis that SPSS has, but also simple non-parametric tests are still
missing.

I am aware it is free and a voluntary project, so I congratulate the
initiative and I am not blaming the developers. I hope success for this
necessary project. On the other hand, much simpler statistical packages
have a minimal number of resources greater than PSPP. A lot of
additional effort is still necessary to rise PSPP to the level it can be
called a SPSS alternative.

I am not a developer, nor a profound statistics expert, thus I am in a
quest to find an statistics package for my work under linux. I only know
R, which seems very hard to use. Do you have idea of others?

Paulo.