pspp-users

Re: shebang line + BS control char

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: shebang line + BS control char
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 09:27:49 -0700

address@hidden writes:

> I tried a shebang line in a pspp script but this triggers an error from pspp
> although the script is executed.
>
> ./analysis.sps:2: error: Unknown command #.
> ./analysis.sps:2: error: Bad character in input: `!'.

This is a bug.  Oops!

I've filed a bug report at Savannah:
        https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?26518

It was easy to fix, though, and the bug report contains a patch
that you can use if you build PSPP yourself.

> also the list outut contains many BS control characters. Is there a way to
> remove them ?.

You can run the output through "col -b", or you can edit your
PSPP output devices configuration file, changing the line that
reads:
        list-ascii:ascii:listing:length=66 width=79
output-file=${list-output-file}
to instead:
        list-ascii:ascii:listing:length=66 width=79
output-file=${list-output-file} emphasis=none

(This is becoming a FAQ, perhaps we should change the default
behavior.)
--
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
 as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."