pspp-users

Re: Import data from other file formats and Histogram question

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Import data from other file formats and Histogram question
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:48:14 -0800

"Gaj Vidmar" <address@hidden> writes:

> Though widely used, Sturges' rule is a wrong choice -- see (e.g., since it's
> freely available and easy to understand
> even for non-mathematicians like most of <us here>)
>
> http://robjhyndman.com/papers/sturges.pdf

Which rule do you recommend?  I chose Sturges' rule because it
was the simplest of the three.  I'm happy to use Scott's rule or
Freedman and Diaconis's rule, but I do not know which one to
choose.  Which one do you recommend?

There is also the iterative method described here:
        http://web.mit.edu/hshimaza/www/res/histogram.html
This one would use a lot more CPU time, but if it is
significantly better then we could implement it anyhow.
--
"The fact is, technical people are better off not looking at patents. If
 you don't know what they cover and where they are, you won't be knowingly