pspp-users

Re: New user

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: New user
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 12:58:42 +0000

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 04:19:07PM -0600, Rodrigo Isaac wrote:
     2010/7/7 Charles Stangor <address@hidden>

     > Do you know how many users of PSPP there are?

     This is like answer how many peolple on the world are having an orgasm in
     this precise moment.

Well at least that question is well defined!  In fact I believe the WHO has
published estimates of this figure (although the language in the report was
somewhat less personal).

There are two difficulties when trying to estimate the number of PSPP users:

 1. PSPP (unlike SPSS) doesn't require registration.

 2. What exactly does a "user" mean?  Is someone who uses PSPP once every 3
years
    a "user"?  How recently and how often  does a person have to have done
something
    with PSPP before we call them a "user".

However, if somebody has the time and inclination to collate them, there are
some resources which could be used to give an *indication* of how many people
use/have used PSPP:

* The number of subscribers to this mailing list.
* The Debian and Ubuntu popcon statistics.
* The number of downloads from the GNU site and from mirror sites.
* The density of google searches http://www.google.com/trends?q=pspp

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3