pspp-users

path

From: Matej Kovacic
Subject: path
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 20:32:04 +0100

Hi,

I am using LimeSurvey web application for collecting data from online
surveys. LimeSurvey has an option to export data to an SPSS data file.
It creates .DAT (delimited text) file and .SPS syntax file which imports
data and adds variable and value labels.

User can export data to SPSS prior to version 16 and later to version
16. SPS syntax file version prior to 16 is compatible with PSPP, except
in two points.

One problem is that PSPP does not recognize command "CACHE.", but I
think this command is not really important.

The other problem is more tricky, however it can be solved easily.

Let's suppose, I downloaded two files from my LimeSurvey (web)server:
mysurvey.SPS and mysurvey.dat. They are in the same directory.

I open mysurvey.SPS and run it. It looks like:

*$Rev: 8866 $  1.
GET DATA
 /TYPE=TXT
 /FILE='mysurvey.dat'
 /DELCASE=LINE
 /DELIMITERS=","
 /QUALIFIER="'"
 /ARRANGEMENT=DELIMITED
 /FIRSTCASE=1
 /IMPORTCASE=ALL
 /VARIABLES=
 V1 A100
 V2 A100
etc.

Now... I suppose, it will open file mysurvey.dat. But not. Because PSPP
does not look into the current directory from which mysurvey.SPS was
opened, but some other directory (I think this one, where PSPP binaries
are placed).

One simple solution is of course to use absolute path in .SPS file.

But it would also be nice that PSPP would look for a file in current
directory,because that is much more convenient for end user.

Developers?

Regards,

Matej