pspp-users

Re: New Debian packaging effort

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: New Debian packaging effort
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 07:08:47 +0000

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 08:10:09PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     How about something like the current text in README:

I think we need to update README.

         PSPP is a program for statistical analysis of sampled data. It
         is a free replacement for the proprietary program SPSS.

That can stay.

         PSPP development is ongoing. It already supports a large subset of
         SPSS's syntax.

That seems fine too.

         Its statistical procedure support is currently limited, but growing.

That, I think, is a little too self-deprecating.  Since this sentence first
appeared, PSPP has come a long way.  I think it should focus on what it can
do rather than what it can't.  How about:
"Statistical procedures such as t-test, anova, glm,  factor analysis and
non-parametric tests are just some of the available features."

         At your option, PSPP will produce statistical
         reports in ASCII, PostScript, PDF, HTML, SVG, or OpenDocument formats.

The ASCII ouput is no longer limited to ASCII, so perhaps this would be a place
to advertise the i18n capabilities, which have also been dramatically improved
in recent years.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3