pspp-users

How to Insert cases using PSPPIRE?

From: Ronaldo Baltar
Subject: How to Insert cases using PSPPIRE?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 23:25:31 -0200

I found a problem when inserting cases directly using PSPPIRE, maybe
I'm doing something wrong.

There is no problem when I run a script to import or create data
files. However, when I try to insert cases directly, the PSPPIRE stops
at the end of the screen.

Let's take an example. I have a survey with 25 variables and 200 cases
on paper. I want to type each questionnaire directly using PSPPIRE. I
start the PSPPIRE. I open a previous data file I've created, using a
script, with 25 variables. Then I go to the PSPPIRE "Data View" and
insert the values for the first case. I type "Enter" or "Down arrow"
and the cursor jumps to the second case. I expected to repeat this
operation 200 times. However, I reach a  limit, the rows shown on my
screen. In this case, the full-screen limit is 17 rows.

When I reach the 17th row, if I press "Enter" or "Down arrow" or any
combination of keys (ALT+ENTER,CNTRL+ENTER,TAB,ect) nothing happens.
The cursor doesn't jump to the next line.

The same happens with the "Variable View" screen. I can insert new
variables only until the limit of rows shown on my screen. So, I can't
create 25 variables directly (I can do it writing a script).

If I use the Menu Command "Edit->Insert cases", PSPP inserts a new row
only before the current row. I can't insert the 18th case after the
17th case.

I'm using the PSPPIRE 0.7.9-gd0dc2e on windows 7 (I tested an earlier
version pspp-0.7.4-g885ed7 with the same limitation).

I have PSPP-0.7.8 running under Ubuntu 10.04, and the same occurs.

Thank you

Ronaldo Baltar
Departamento de Ciências Sociais
Universidade Estadual de Londrina