pspp-users

Re: Descriptive statistics by group

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Descriptive statistics by group
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 06:23:26 +0000

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 09:02:43AM -0700, stn021 wrote:

     Hi, PSPP has descriptive statistics but I found no option to group for
     example means or stddevs by another variable. Please let me know how that
     can be done, THX, stn

There are several ways this can be done.

1. Use the SPLIT FILE command to split the dataset into subsets based on your
   group variable.  Then use the DESCRIPTIVES command like you have been doing.

2. Use the EXAMINE command with a factor variable and
   the /STATISTICS=DESCRIPTIVES subcommand.

3. Use the MEANS command with a categorical variable and its
   default subcommands.

The manual provides details on all three options.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.