pspp-users

RE: PSPP on Mac OS X 10.8.3

From: Crichton, Ronald
Subject: RE: PSPP on Mac OS X 10.8.3
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 22:35:12 +0000

The web site could be clearer.  I installed it on my Windows XP without
trouble, but before I did so, I was very confused by the web site.

The web site shows "Get PSPP" - nothing could be simpler. But when you click on
this link you are presented with a range of options that is very confusing.  In
my case, I was looking for a Windows installation.  There is a reference to
"Windows (Using MinGW)" - I have no idea what this is and whether it was what I
needed to install it.  Further down the page under the heading "MS Windows"
there were more links that might have been relevant to me.  But what is each of
them for - I have no idea and the site give no information.  An explanation for
each is required.  The term "Mingw-based version" means nothing to me.
Similarly, "nl" "fr" "de" "es" and "pt_BR" are incomprehensible - I might guess
Netherlands, France, Spanish (no idea).  You don't like to guess this type of
thing.  The phrase "Another Mingw-based version" is of no help as I didn't know
what the first "Mingw" was meant to be in the first place.

I was thoroughly confused but anxious to try it, and for no better reason than
that "Mingw-based version" was the first link in the list, I selected that, and
hoped for the best.  I downloaded the latest version as indicated, and
installation was smooth.

Please update the website.