pspp-users

DATA LIST

From: Crichton, Ronald
Subject: DATA LIST
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 02:16:18 +0000

Hi there

I have a text file containing 19,896 lines.  The data list returned a
relatively small amount of data.  I wonder if anyone can indicate why I can't
read the whole file consistently.  Depending upon the variables included in the
data list the number of records read changes.  The PSPP output viewer generally
shows no warnings or errors.  However, depending upon what variables I select
on the data list statement the following message appears "sps.28: warning:
Partial case of 2 or 7 records discarded."

The following code is the exact code relating to the example output shown in
the attachment.  (The attachment shows the output of the first read of the
data, the second attempt, and the actual data file (with personal information
hidden).

The command file reads the data twice.  The first example reads the first
variable only, and then writes the same variable to an output file with the
input and output files both having all the records (ie. 19,896).  However, when
I attempt to read other variables from the data, as in the second example, the
number records read is lower, reading only 9,949 records from a data file of
19,896 lines.

This data can be imported into a database without trouble.  The data also reads
into excel okay.

Any assistance would be appreciated,
Ron

DATA LIST FIXED FILE = '13nat080.txt'
        /ClientID 1-10 (A).

save translate
        /outfile = 'nat80_client_TAB.txt'
        /type = tab
        /replace
        /keep = ClientID
        /fieldnames.

execute.

DATA LIST FIXED FILE = '13nat080.txt'
        /ClientID 1-10 (A)
        /Sex 77-77 (A).

save translate
        /outfile = 'nat80_client_sex_TAB.txt'
        /type = tab
        /replace
        /keep = ClientID
                Sex
        /fieldnames.
execute.

CIT is the ACT Large Training Provider of the Year.
Subscribe to CIT Industry Connection - CIT's free, bi monthly publication:
http://cit.edu.au/industry_business/industry_connection/
This email, and any attachments, may be confidential and also privileged. If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all
copies of this transmission along with any attachments immediately. You should
not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other
person.