pspp-users

Re: Excell to PSPP direct?

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: Excell to PSPP direct?
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 11:04:10 -0600

Why not save it to CSV (as Darrington suggested)? I choose an ASCII encoding (but you should use an appropriate one for your data but ASCII will represent numbers and most English text), tabs for delimiters (assuming your data do not contain the tab character), and no quotes (press delete in that box). That dataset can readily be imported by any software. It's not like you're losing formatting or data to do so. That format is perfectly capable and as an added bonus, it will never become obsolete.

CSV can also handle the case where the delimiter is part of the data but I'd advise you to avoid that situation if you possibly can. For example, commas are also a popular choice for delimiter but they are commonly part of free-response string data. So I'd choose tabs but if you must, there is a provision for quoting such data. The problem is that such files are not handled uniformly by all software.

-Alan