pspp-users

Re: Data transformation in the Mac environment

From: dr soumalya ray
Subject: Re: Data transformation in the Mac environment
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 12:28:45 +0800 (SGT)

hi Mark,

>On Mar 7, 2014, at 2:05 AM, John Darrington <address@hidden> wrote:
>There are a number of ways this could be achieved (for example you could use
>RECODE ... INTO ) but in my opinion, the simplest way is:
>
>COMPUTE newvar = (VARX = 1) AND (VARY=1).

>> There is no option as far as I have found to enter line commands of the sort
>> you suggest, e.g. a COMPUTE statement.

try File -> New -> Syntax

write the command suggested with variable names adjusted for your dataset.
press "Run" and select the appropriate option; if you are running this command
only, "All" will do for now.

>It appears that this Mac version looks and behaves quite differently from the
>GNU/Linux version.

i am not so sure that it is different. though could not say about the
functioning but it definitely looks same to me!

> My question then boils down to whether it is possible in the version I
have in front of me to enter commands like the COMPUTE statement.

yes (mentioned above).

>1. Am I missing something in this version, some hidden point of access to a
>command line?

you might want to take a look at the available manual (Help -> Reference
Manual). it is available online too
(http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/pspp.html#Using-PSPP).

regards,

som