pspp-users

Re: running syntax file from ui vs running syntax file from command prom

From: Kees Varekamp
Subject: Re: running syntax file from ui vs running syntax file from command prompt
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 15:42:32 +1200

You are completely right - it looks fine now!

Awesome, thanks.

Kees

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Ben Pfaff <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 09:09:28PM +1200, Kees Varekamp wrote:
> I am trying to run a utf-8 syntax script in PSPP 0.8.2 on win7 64bit, but I
> think there is a problem when I run the a syntax file from the command line:
>  --syntax-encoding as a start param does not seem to work:
>
> I have tried:
> "C:\Program Files\PSPP\bin\pspp.exe" file.sps -b -o
> log.txt--syntax-encoding=UTF-8
> "C:\Program Files\PSPP\bin\pspp.exe" file.sps -b -o
> log.txt--syntax-encoding=utf-8
> "C:\Program Files\PSPP\bin\pspp.exe" file.sps -b -o
> log.txt--syntax-encoding=UTF8
> "C:\Program Files\PSPP\bin\pspp.exe" file.sps -b -o
> log.txt--syntax-encoding="UTF-8
> "
> "C:\Program Files\PSPP\bin\pspp.exe" --syntax-encoding="UTF-8" file.sps -b
> -o log.txt
>
> All with no success - my Thai characters get garbled. However, when I load
> the script through the gui (and select UTF-8 from the dialog) it works
> perfectly. So I think this command line param just doesn't work.

The encoding of a syntax file is independent of the encoding of the
active file.  --syntax-encoding controls the former.  "SET LOCALE"
controls the latter.  If you add "SET LOCALE='utf-8'" to the top of your
syntax file, it ought to work as expected.  (Both encodings default to
the system locale, so switching to a UTF-8 locale should also work.)

--
Kees Varekamp
MROffice Director

MROffice - Meeting Market Research Needs