pspp-users

Re: Re: Windows PSPPIRE/PSPP is pretty wonky

From: Harry Thijssen
Subject: Re: Re: Windows PSPPIRE/PSPP is pretty wonky
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 20:43:38 +0100

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 04:58:48PM -0600, Alan Mead wrote:
     John and Harry,

     PSPPIRE.exe 0.8.4-g5ce6b1 (and the associated PSPP) is pretty wonky.
     Paste doesn't work correctly (I believe that's a know issue?). To paste
     syntax into the syntax window, I had to right-click and choose paste;
     neither Control-v or Edit > Paste would paste the text.

I could reproduce this and it is indeed realy strange. It is not limited to the syntax window, but the same happens in the dataview. If you copy some data from outside PSPPIRE (for example from notepad to psppire)  you can only paste it in PSPPIRE when you right-click. Data copied from inside PSPPIRE (for instance from dataview to syntax editor) can be copied pasted  the usual way!
A reason for this.......I have no idea...

     And Run > Current line wasn't working (but now I cannot replicate it,
     I'm guessing it has to do with where the cursor was rather than which
     line of the syntax window was "shaded"). What was most annoying is that
     by "not working" I mean that the output window would flash but there was
     no additional output in the window and no warning or error.

I could only reproduce this if the current line is part of a command on several lines.

I don't know why this should be.  Perhaps Harry can shed some light on it.

     And then look at the boxplot I got when I ran Robin's syntax on the
     physio data (attached "boxplot.png")... I don't use examine and I don't
     know what " /STATISTICS = EXTREME (3)" is meant to do, but I know what a
     boxplot is and there shouldn't be values like 9999999 between 1200 and
     200 on the y-axis.

[ EXTREME (3) reporst the largest and smallest three values of the variable ]

Regarding the 99999 issue, I certainly don't get that on GNU/Linux - my guess is that
Windows has rounding issues and is miscalculating 300 as 299.99999999999999 (the left
hand side is off the page).

Maybe it is possible to round it when used on the axis.

Happy new year to everybody and
Have fun