pspp-users

Re: Re: It is a problem that Windows PSPPIRE/PSPP is pretty wonky

From: Harry Thijssen
Subject: Re: Re: It is a problem that Windows PSPPIRE/PSPP is pretty wonky
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 15:00:07 +0100

Hello list

I'm not sure that Windows testers would help.  Testers provide a useful
service--bug reports--but we already have Windows bug reports that we
are not able to easily solve.  Really what we need is a developer, who
can not just report bugs but actually fix them.

For the more advanced users with ICT skils I have added a new part in the MSWindows build of PSPP which could be useful for finding and solving bugs.

On https://sourceforge.net/projects/pspp4windows/<version> in the subdirectory DebugVersion you can find a file *.Debug which is identical to the 32 bits build of that version except that there is also a console opened in which you can see the output messages of PSPPIRE.
To use it, just rename *.Debug to *.exe and install this version the usual way.

Most of the time the produced messages are error messages, however it seems not all error messages are serious and it looks as if you even can ignore some critical errors :-(

With this additional build, it should be possible for skilled users to:
- Do some bug hunting if they find a strange/wrong behavior.
- Report a bug with this error message included. This gives a lot more info to the developers.
- Check the sourcecode and may be able to point to a problem spot in the source

Have fun