pspp-users

Re: save translate error

From: F. Thomas
Subject: Re: save translate error
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 17:48:19 +0100

On 16/01/2015 09:17, John Darrington wrote:
On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 11:17:32AM -0600, Alan Mead wrote:
I guess not. The code below that saves "test data.csv" produces the
      error shown when I try to use "My Documents" but it works fine when I
      use "Documents":
save translate
      /outfile ="C:\Users\amead\My Documents\test data.csv"
      /type = csv
      /fieldnames
      /cells = values
      /keep v3 v1 to v2.
error: Replacing C:\Users\amead\My Documents\test data.csv.tmpA8dGMU by C:
      \Users\amead\My Documents\test data.csv: No such file or directory.
save translate
      /outfile ="C:\Users\amead\Documents\test data.csv"
      /type = csv
      /fieldnames
      /cells = values
      /keep v3 v1 to v2.
(no error, file is created)
This is a perfect illustration of problems which crop up with windows.
The problem is that "My Documents" is a so call "Special Folder"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Documents
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_folder

That means, they it cannot be accessed in the normal way that other directories
can.  You will have to choose another directory (or another operating system).

The surprising fact is that I can load sav and save formatted data with this address including the blanks. I never had any difficulties. But save translate seems to fault. I controlled the address in sending a link to the desktop to see how the OS declares the address.
C:\Users\Toshiba\Documents\data\EVS-WVS\(file name)
The error message does not distinguish between folder name and file name. Could it be that it can't recognise the file extension ?