pspp-users

Re: String variables combining files

From: ftr
Subject: Re: String variables combining files
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 16:00:37 +0100

Frans,

I don't understand why you don't change the variable width for your string variables. This seems the most easiest way for everyone.
Cheers,
ftr

On 25/03/2015 14:48, Frans Houweling wrote:
Hi,
  quoting the manual on combining files:
When more than one input file contains a variable with a given name, those variables must all have the same type (numeric or string) and, for string variables, the same width.
For me the same width limitation is one of the worst pains with SPSS (the other one being the total lack of introspection).
I would like to launch a people's petition to break compatibility with SPSS, allowing different widths and just keeping the width of the one in the first file encountered.
Unite!
frans