pspp-users

Re: String variables combining files

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: String variables combining files
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 11:25:47 -0500

On 3/25/2015 10:00 AM, ftr wrote:
Frans,

I don't understand why you don't change the variable width for your string variables. This seems the most easiest way for everyone.
Cheers,
ftr

If you have dozens of variables in dozens of files, it's not "easy" to fix this problem.

I find this most often arises when I have used CSV or a Spreadsheet to hold data for several different instances that later needs to be integrated.  For example, I've been involved in projects where data was gathered each semester at a few schools.  To later join that data is a nightmare if there are many string variables.

Also, if you know that this is going to be an issue, you can do more to avoid it. The annoying thing about this issue in SPSS (and PSPP) is that you find out about the problem when the join fails. If you don't know to avoid this, it can be maddening to repeatedly run join and have to fix each issue individually.

-Alan