pspp-users

Re: install issue?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: install issue?
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 07:54:14 +0200

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 04:36:44PM -0700, DAVID FINE wrote:
     Hi,
     I am very new to PSPP. But I've got a lot of years of SPSS background.

That's great.  The good news is that your spss programs will (almost surely)
work directly
with pspp with little or no modification.

     BUT, the 'Data' tab has 6 options--from sort cases to weight cases.

That sounds correct.

     My spss software (vers.19) has a whole lot of other useful 'data' options
(merge files, aggregate, split files etc.).

Pspp also has aggregate and split file.  Spss keep changing their menu structure
on every release.  I think the PSPP menus correspond more or less to how it used
to look in spss 17.  There is no menu entry for "merge files" but all the
relevant procedures are  indeed supported (see chapter 10 of the manual).
You can run them directly from the syntax window just as you would in spss.
If you find a example which runs in Spss but does not run in Pspp please report
it.

     Did i do something wrong at some point?

No.  It doesn't sound like you did.

     Or, are these other data options not available in PSPP for windows?

In which particular options are you interested ?

     And if not available, then do you have a recommendation? Another OS?

In general, PSPP does not have different functionality for different OSes.
However
it runs faster and is much more stable on GNU and GNU/Linux operating systems,
so
that is what we recommend.

Thanks,

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encryted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3