pspp-users

Re: 0.8.5 Compile errors

From: Robert Messer
Subject: Re: 0.8.5 Compile errors
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 23:42:51 -0700

John,

No, I didn’t modify any of the .texi files. I just did a straight download of the tarball and then immediately ran ./configure and then make.

However, I did find a two other solutions to the problem. First, I was going to follow your instructions about deleting the 4 lines, so I did a search in the Makefile for XMLLINT. I found this line:

XMLLINT =

That seemed odd, with XMLLINT pointing to nothing. So I left the 4 lines in and changed it to the correct path (XMLLINT = /usr/bin/xmllint), and then ran make. It ran just fine then, so I didn’t have to delete those 4 lines.

So to me it seems that the problem there is that configure doesn’t recognize my xmllint and therefore writes out a blank path for it, even though it works just fine. Perhaps it is looking for a specific version number.

As far as why it is running at all — it looks like the timestamp of the doc/pspp.xml file is the same as the timestamp on some of the .texi files. They are all June 19 20:56. So I’d guess that the build thinks it has to rebuild the pspp.xml file. And sure enough, if I do “touch doc/pspp.xml” before running make, then it no longer tries to rebuild it, and then it doesn’t care about the whether it has a path to xmllint or not. So perhaps if you were to rebuild the tarball and give the pspp.xml file a later timestamp, then the problem would go away. Why this would matter for some people and not others is a mystery. Maybe some versions of the doc build script try to build when timestamps are equal and other versions don’t?

In any event, I was able to build 0.8.5 now, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Rob