pspp-users

Re: Problem with the option "filter by variable"

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: Problem with the option "filter by variable"
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 14:34:11 -0600

Armita,

I don't know the answer to your question; mostly likely it's a bug if PSPP fails to function like SPSS. If so, it would be good to create a bug report: http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=pspp

But there's a way to use syntax to do something similar. You need to open a syntax window (File > New > Syntax).  Let's say you want to run frequencies on variable X for those cases where variable UNIT = 2. You type (or cut-and-paste) the lines below into the syntax window:

temporary.
select if( UNIT = 2 ).
freq / X.

It's important to run these as a unit and, unfortunately, you need to repeat the "temporary." and "select if..." syntax for each analysis because the temporary selection only works for the next procedure. I usually generate the syntax for the statistics from the dialogs, then paste it, then add the "temporary" and "select if..." commands manually.

You can do the same thing without temporary, but the dataset (in memory) is permanently altered by "select if..." unless it is preceeded by "temporary" ... But if you don't save the datafile, then that might be more convenient.

You might also be able to use "split file" to achieve a similar effect where parallel analyses are completed.

I hope this helps!

-Alan