pspp-users

Re: PSPP for Windows

From: Nigel Brown
Subject: Re: PSPP for Windows
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 10:26:20 +1000

On 14 Nov 2015, at 11:32 pm, John Darrington <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 02:02:28AM +0000, Anders Andren wrote:

    Hi ! I just migrated from SPSS to PSPP using psppire, 0.8.5-gdaa1fe, on a 64 bit maschine with Windows 8. After a little while I could use it and it felt good. However it has happend now several times that I tried to safe reccords that I tapped in when the system (i.e.  psppire) stops working and I looses my job. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is ? (wrong version for wrong maschine or what ...)

The fundamental answer to your question is "... the wrong operating system" .  PSPP works most reliably
on GNU and GNU/Linux.  So if you want really reliable behaviour with PSPP (or any other application) you
should use one of those.

I think the exception of reliable behaviour on Windows comes from PSPP’s own webpage when it says “It is a Free replacement for the proprietary program SPSS”. Many probably wouldn't expect a “replacement" to require a different operating system to be a reliable replacement. Perhaps it should say “It is a Free replacement for the proprietary program IBM SPSS Statistics for Linux”.

Nigel

Having said that, we try to make it work as best we can on other systems too.   So if you can describe
exactly how to reproduce this behaviour, then we will try to improve it.

Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encryted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285  A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3