pspp-users

Re: PSPP Help

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: PSPP Help
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 19:51:50 +0100

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 09:49:00PM -0500, Ed Nelson wrote:

         * Crosstabs -- I don't see how to run a three-variable crosstab from
the graphical interface. It appears that it only runs two-variable tables.
However, when I use my SPSS syntax file it will read the file and create a
three-variable table. Here's an example of the SPSS syntax. CROSSTABS
/TABLES=g2_owngun BY d5_sex BY d11_class /FORMAT=AVALUE TABLES /CELLS=COUNT
COLUMN. Is there a way to do this from the interface?

No.  This is currently not possible with the graphical user interface.

         * Select cases -- I want to create a dummy variable for use with
regression. In SPSS I would use the Compute command to set a variable equal to
0. Then I would use the select cases command to change that variable to 1 if
the person was male. I would click on select cases and then then on the If
button and then tell SPSS to change the value to 1 if the person was male.
Here's an example of the SPSS syntax. COMPUTE d5_sex_males=0. IF (d5_sex = 1)
d5_sex_males=1.

That sounds like a very convoluted way to copy a variable.  Why not just do
COMPUTE d5_sex_males = (d5_sex=1).  ?
You can do this in the gui: Choose Transform|Compute  then put "d5_sex_males"
in the Target Variable box and
"d5_sex=1" in the Numeric Expressions box.

It is a long time since I used SPSS, but my recollection is that it works
exactly the same way.

         * In SPSS you can click on Edit and then on Options and tell SPSS to
show the variable names alphabetically. In PSPP it shows the variable labels
instead of the variable names. Is there any way to get it to show the variable
names in the interface?

Yes.  Right click and choose "Prefer variable labels".

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encryted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3