pspp-users

Re: Re: data set opening bug

From: Harry Thijssen
Subject: Re: Re: data set opening bug
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 15:59:55 +0100

Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 12:50:58 +0100
From: ftr <address@hidden>
To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: data set opening bug

On 07/02/2016 09:08, John Darrington wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 07, 2

Thank you for the clarification. It did not know these details.

When you search for PSPP for Windows the first result that pops up is
for  pspp.awardspace.com and is version 0.9.0-g745ee3.
- This is the one that took half a day to install here - .

I don't believe there is something wrong with that version. I would guess you changed the directory to install and forced it to use and existing subdirectory or there is a hardware problem on your computer.

There is a warning in the first line of the site that the version 0.9.0
is not fully tested, but a little later on the site states: There are no
known issues with this release.
Maybe a more cautionary phrase would help.

I removed the sentence "There are no known issues with this release.".

When you look at the sourceforge the site
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pspp4windows/files/latest/download
lets you download a snapshot version:
pspp-090+20160124-snapshot-64bits-setup.exe

So the alternatives are either snapshot or snapshot ?

Yes

So, where do you get a real production version ?

In fact by building it yourself from the released source.

But is this what you want??  Would you say MSWindows10 was better the day it was released or better after a few updates? Or a lot of updates? The latest released pspp source is from 8 monyhs ago.

I think people prefer versions with more bugs fixed and new features added. Unfortunately, as it is with MSWindows, new updates and new features introduce new bugs too. People report them and the developers try to fix them.

If you want a version with known bugs, pick an older build from sourceforge. http://sourceforge.net/projects/pspp4windows/files/2015-06-21/ is closest or maybe identical to the latest released version.

In general, versions on pspp.awardspace.com are a few days behind the versions on sourceforge and really cutting edge builds are only published on sourceforge.

Everybody can decide for himself which version he/she wants to use. I would recommend the newest version found on pspp.wardspace.com

Have fun