pspp-users

Re: Re: PSPP help

From: Harry Thijssen
Subject: Re: Re: PSPP help
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 20:49:05 +0100

> I try to save the data file under 'PSPP' it comes up with an error
> message saying 'permission denied'

that sounds like you are trying to save the files under c:\program
files\pspp and that isn't a good place to save files and Windows will
prevent you from doing so unless you are an administrator.  Try saving
in your "My Documents" folder.

But the other possibility is that this is a bug that the developers have
been working on. I'm sorry I don't recall what work-around exists, but
hopefully one of them will reply. I think the bug was related to having
either spaces or non-ASCII characters in the path and so you might try
saving in a place that doesn't have those problems (e.g.,
"c:\pspp_files" which you would need to have administrator's rights, or
possible to a thumb drive mounted as "E:\").

It is non-ascii characters in the filename or the path. Anyway, this shouldn't happen any more in the latest version when you save it from the GUI. So I don't think this is the problem.

About the folders not being seen, I don't know how the Windows version
of PSPP picks up folders but I have the same problem.  There is a
slightly awkward work-around (maybe someone can supply a better one).
On my version of PSPP I have a choice on the left sidebar of the "Open"
dialog called "Enter Location" which can open any location.  So, you
just need to enter the location for One Drive. Here's my shortcut for
figuring out what the destination is:  I go to Windows explorer (i.e.,
the way you normally look at files in Windows) and open the drive so I
can see the files.  Then I click in the address bar at the top. Before I
click into the bar, it says something like "(folder icon) > amead >
Google Drive" but after you click there, the location (e.g.,
"C:\Users\amead\Google Drive") is displayed and can be copied-and-pasted
it into the "Enter Location" field in PSPP. In this way, I can open my
Google Drive, even though it's not shown initially.

You can type \users in the name bar at the top. Or choice Documents in the left pain and then in the address bar above the right pane click on your username to go to your personal folder.
I will see if I can find something on the internet about this issue,

These steps work in Windows 7, I assume something like this is possible
in the desktop mode of Windows 8 and 10.  If not, you could try
"C:\Users" into "Enter Location" and then double-click on your username
and all your special drives should be shown.

It is the same in MSWindows 10.

Have fun