pspp-users

Re: PSPP is not a "linux first" community

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: PSPP is not a "linux first" community
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 11:45:39 -0600

On 3/4/2016 9:49 AM, John Darrington wrote:
> Well it certainly is true that fixing issues in GNU/Linux has a higher
> priority than fixing Windows issues.  But that does not make PSPP a linux
> first project.  If there is a "pecking order" it is something like this:
>
> 1: GNU
> 2: Other Free OSes (including GNU/Linux)
> 3: All other OSes (including Windows and some linux based ones)
>
> This, as Mark kindly posted, is the policy of GNU.  PSPP is part of GNU.

John,

You don't think explicit posts rank ordering Windows below "GNU/Linux"
might give some users the impression that PSPP was a "GNU/Linux first
project"?

But I think your actions actually suggest that PSPP is primarily a "PSPP
first" project -- that you and the other devs do your best to make PSPP
better and I've observed the team fixing Windows bugs.  So, that's what
makes me think that there isn't really a "Linux first" attitude or not
one that worries me.

-Alan

--

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

+815.588.3846 (Office)
+267.334.4143 (Mobile)

http://www.alanmead.org

I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe...
functions on fire in a copy of Orion.
I watched C-Sharp glitter in the dark near a programmable gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like Ruby... on... Rails... Time for Pi.

          --"The Register" user Alister, applying the famous
            "Blade Runner" speech to software development