pspp-users

Re: error opening a pspp file

From: Friedrich Beckmann
Subject: Re: error opening a pspp file
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 22:36:12 +0100

Hi,

i opened a bug about this. The problem is specific to the MacOS Bundle which uses
the Quartz Backend of gtk. The X11 Version from Macports works.

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53066

Friedrich

Am 05.02.2018 um 17:44 schrieb Ben Pfaff <address@hidden>:

On Mon, Feb 05, 2018 at 10:41:04AM +0100, John Darrington wrote:
On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 01:57:53PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
    Well, in the end the file shows two things:

            (1) PSPP should not write a file that it cannot read later: if
            you look at the raw file, it contains question marks.  This
            means that PSPP output routines should be more careful about
            insisting on writing the file in a character set that is
            acceptable for later reading.

            (2) PSPP should be able to read files that do contain bad
            variable names, probably by replacing unacceptable bytes by some
            kind of placeholder like X.

Here is my guess at what happened:

The charset of the machine used to create the file is something other than UTF-8,
and either it has been (inadvertently) set to something incabable of encoding
the umlauts he was trying to use, or the iconv library on that machine is broken.

So the try_recode routine in libpspp/i18n.c failed, and the fallback char,
which is '?', see line 1167 was substituted.

What I don't understand is how the user could not have noticed something amiss at
the time of data entry.  The variable names should have been rejected when entered,
or at least looked very wierd.

PSPP generally maintains variable names, etc. internally in UTF-8, and I
wonder whether we're not checking that against the charset at all the
appropriate times.  I could especially see that happening in the GUI,
where there's an extra layer of indirection.

But in any case I think the reader and writer should be more robust.
I'll work on that.