pspp-users

Re: PSPP CTABLES

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: PSPP CTABLES
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 10:32:11 -0500

FWIW, I'm excited that you're working on reading SPV format. I had
assumed that the implicit output model might preclude compatibility.

-Alan

On 7/24/2018 4:30 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> There might be some small hope here because I've been spending a lot of
> time lately working to make PSPP understand SPSS's .spv output file
> format, so that it can read (and write?) it directly.  Implicit in that
> format is an understanding of the SPSS output model, which seems to be
> entangled quite a bit with the CTABLES syntax.  It might therefore lead
> someday to CTABLES implementation (but not soon).
>
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 09:21:11PM +0000, Crichton, Ronald wrote:
>> I asked about this a few years ago.  I gather it would be difficult. Mind
>> you, I used TABLES in SPSS in about 1990 and got to quite like it and used
>> it a lot. So, here we are in 2018 and I use CTABLES in SPSS, and can’t get
>> the hang of it, at least not much more than the basic usage of it. Can’t
>> stand it. I long for the old TABLES function. Not available in SPSS. So,
>> here’s the thing: perhaps PSPP should develop its own version of TABLES with
>> just the basics, without trying to emulate SPSS because they have stuffed up
>> something that used to be quite good.

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

http://www.alanmead.org

"You're an interesting species. An interesting mix.
You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such
horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off,
so alone, only you're not. See, in all our
searching, the only thing we've found that makes
the emptiness bearable, is each other."

-- Carl Sagan, Contact