psychosynth-devel

[psynth-devel] Gil-import merged into trunk -- testers wanted

From: Juan Pedro Bolívar Puente
Subject: [psynth-devel] Gil-import merged into trunk -- testers wanted
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:14:59 +0100

Hello,

I just merged into trunk all the heavy work in the gil-import branch.
This also fixes a couple of quite annoying bugs and the codebase has
changed a lot and thus I believe it is worth making a 0.2.0 release.

The changelog includes:

- New audio processing and I/O subsystem based on template programming
for generic yet efficient sound signals.
- The extreme latency when using ALSA bug seems to be fixed.
- No longer depend on libvorbis, libsndfile can now handle ogg and flac
files too.
- No longer depend on sigc++, using boost::signals which, which is a bit
slower but neglibe and this simplifies the dependencies.
- The mouse wheel now scrolls in the object selector.
- The object selector no longer lets mouse clicks pass through.
- Backwards reproducing a sample works a bit better now too.
- Some new niceties in the framework base layer.

Known issues:

- The program crashes when trying to open a mono sample.
- The program crashes when failing to open the output device.
- The program may crash in some new situations.
- Changing the number of channels and sampling rate is, well, undefined
behaviour.

These issues are, in a way, a feature -- the new code is much better at
checking unexpected conditions and throws exceptions accordingly.
However, the UI code yet does not try to catch and correct most of these
exceptions, thus the "crashes". I know I could fix this before the
release, but is worthless work given the heavy refactoring that is about
to happen in upper layers too, and still the program is perfectly able
to operate in normal conditions.

I suggest any readers of this list to give the new code in trunk a try
before the release and drop their impressions here.

Thanks a lot,

JP