qemu-arm

Re: [Qemu-arm] aarch64 ivshmem issues

From: Pavel Fedin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] aarch64 ivshmem issues
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 11:07:33 +0300

 Hello!

> I am using the ivshmem device to create shared memory between an x86_64 host
> and aarch64
> guest. The guest has ubuntu server 14.04 installed with kernel version
> 3.13.0. I wrote a kernel
> driver to drive the ivshmem device (as a pci driver) however, the driver was
> never registered:

 There should be no problem with ivshmem itself on ARM64. Last year we did some
tests with it, and it worked fine out of the box.
 Since you are saying that "the driver was never registered", then, perhaps,
something is wrong with your guest kernel config. For the start, check whether
PCI subsystem and PCI generic host is enabled. Mainline kernels older than 4.3
do not support generic PCI host controller on ARM64, therefore you have no PCI
bus. If your distro has older kernel, it is likely to suffer from this problem.
Check 'lspci' output on your guest.

Kind regards,
Pavel Fedin
Expert Engineer
Samsung Electronics Research center Russia