qemu-arm

[Qemu-arm] Unable to share host folder

From: Jayadev Kumaran
Subject: [Qemu-arm] Unable to share host folder
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 16:28:28 +0530

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to Qemu and currently running the emulator for arm64 platform. I'm trying to share/copy a folder from my host system onto Qemu , but haven't succeeded yet. I have tried quite a few ways

1 Mount a host folder using 9p over virtio

   Kernel configuration options were verfied to ensure 9p options are enabled.
   Ran the emulator using :
   qemu-system-aarch64 -M virt -cpu cortex-a57 -kernel Image -initrd rootfs.img.gz -nographic -append "console=ttyAMA0 root=/dev/ram rootfstype=ramfs init=/bin/sh" -snapshot -fsdev local,security_model=none,id=fsdev0,path=/mnt/shared -device virtio-9p-pci,id=fs0,fsdev=fsdev0,mount_tag=hostshare

   And tried mounting using

mount -t 9p -o trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L hostshare /tmp/share

   But  the console showed ;

9pnet_virtio : No channels available
   mount: mounting hostshare on /tmp/share/ failed: No such file or directory

   a) I verfied that /tmp/share is present .
   b) Tried using -virtfs option with qemu-system-aarch64 , but it showed the same logs.

2  Created a plain binary image using qemu-img ( raw format ). Formatted it as ext4. Mounted it on the host , copied the required folder into the mount point and then unmounted it . Now I tried inserting the image using;
 qemu-system-aarch64 -M virt -cpu cortex-a57 -kernel Image -initrd rootfs.img.gz -nographic -append "console=ttyAMA0 root=/dev/ram rootfstype=ramfs init=/bin/sh" -snapshot -drive /home/user/Documents/image_file
Also using
qemu-system-aarch64 -M virt -cpu cortex-a57 -kernel Image -initrd rootfs.img.gz -nographic -append "console=ttyAMA0 root=/dev/ram rootfstype=ramfs init=/bin/sh" -snapshot -hdd /home/user/Documents/image_file

But on my guest , I couldn't locate any mount point for the image

3 Sharing through host USB device
Added the usb device using the usb_add monitor command . But the device wasn't detected/mounted in Qemu ( lsusb and mount didn't show any USB device )

4 Added the folder to initrd image ( rootfs.img.gz)
In this method , emulator didn't start , supposedly due to exceeding size limit of 16M ( new image was found to be around 160M ).

As I had mentioned in the beginning , I'm very new to this and couldn't actually figure the proper way to resolve these issues.. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jayadev