qemu-arm

Re: [Qemu-arm] [Qemu-devel] [RFC v4 00/16] VIRTIO-IOMMU device

From: Jean-Philippe Brucker
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] [Qemu-devel] [RFC v4 00/16] VIRTIO-IOMMU device
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 11:46:26 +0100

On 12/10/17 11:09, Auger Eric wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On 12/10/2017 11:54, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> On 11 October 2017 at 17:08, Auger Eric <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Hi Peter,

>>> Yes this is the goal. At the moment the ACPI probing is not yet properly
>>> specified but a Q35 prototype was developed in the Red Hat Virt team.
>>> This will be presented at the KVM forum.
>>
>> Since I have very little familiarity with virtio or iommu code,
>> I'd be much happier if this was reviewed as a generic virtio-iommu
>> by the x86/virtio devs and then the arm specific parts done second...
>
> Understood. I was rather expecting you to review the smmuv3 emulation
> code which you did, in a comprehensive manner ;-), and many thanks for that.
>
> Note sure this is time yet to get this RFC reviewed as
> - the v0.4 virtio-iommu driver it relies on was not officially submitted,
> - the virtio-iommu specification review has not really been reviewed,
> - the ACPI probing method has not been discussed yet.
>
> Jean-Philippe, please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> So to me, this is pure RFC at the moment.

Yes, having it as an RFC for the moment allowed to break compatibility
between versions of the specification. The downside is that it probably
doesn't get as many eyeballs as it would without an RFC tag (although I
did receive tonnes of helpful comments). Maybe v0.5, that should be
published shortly, can be a candidate for mainline.

Thanks,
Jean